Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Thursday, August 15, 2024

It Was a Pleasant Day

Not an attractive sight, my partially eaten dinner, but it sure was good. Mark picked up a carnita burrito at a restaurant west of where we live. I haven't had Mexican food in like, forever. This will become something we do on occasion from now on. The burrito is so large one is enough. When we celebrate an anniversary we do it big!!


Hay delivery is starting. I've often thought I would not want to be feeding a family with todays food cost. A couple of days ago I laughed at myself, I'm feeding 13 four-leggers that weigh from around 800-1000 pounds. Am I nuts! Feeding a couple of teenagers, no prob. Sometimes it's best not to get too deep into the details.

We had rain and wind last night. All is well today, except the humidity. That, not so good. I think I'll make a shrimp pasta salad, sans mayonnaise, for Kristina's visit, along with focaccia. Or a quiche. Shrimp quiche? I don't have company anymore, I'm out of practice. 

I was on FaceBook yesterday, someplace I rarely go. Since it was our anniversary I thought of my long ago friend who was one of our witnesses. I decided to see if she is on FB. She is, but hasn't used it since 2017. I sent her a message, which she probably will not see. I seem to be reaching backward these days. I recognized her instantly. Some people do not change much. Others, like myself, do. I wonder why? Her husband went to college with almost husband #2 and they remained good friends, so I think there was probably some friction in maintaining a relationship with us both. Things do change, but what the heck, maybe she will see my message.

21 comments:

nick said...

Maybe I'm just weird, but I generally find photos of food very un-appetising compared to the real thing.
I hope you get a reply to your message.

Boud said...

That sounds like a plan, occasional Mexican. Change of pace. Yes, I've wondered about your hay bills, too, something you really can't economize on.

Rita said...

I'm not on any social media--only blog. I'm curious if that friend will answer you. I'm glad Leah is on Facebook because she uses Facebook Marketplace to sell my stuff--lol! But I don't think she's on it very much.

I can't imagine feeding thirteen horses! One cat is enough for me--lol! But they are worth it, for sure. No matter if it is four-legged or two-leggeds we care for. ;)

Sandra said...

Nothing wrong with that. I think I won't get a response. I know that people who are not on my friends list who send me messages are often missed. Plus she isn't involved for 7 yrs on FB. But, maybe...

Sandra said...

They have to eat. I never intended to have so many but when the economy crashed there was no market for horses. It took a long time to recover and by that time they were so involved as two herds and the routine here it would have been difficult to change. So, I have them.

Sandra said...

I have a FB and Insta account but I haven't used them for a few years. Once in awhile I scroll through, which is what I was doing yesterday. I got tired of so-called social media.

It's a lot to feed. Along with 6 cats and a raccoon!

Anonymous said...

I think it is wonderful that you have kept all your horses, especially since, I think you said they are seniors. My sister has horses, she lives in TN and took in an older horse that belonged to an older man she knew who had died, his family did not want it..just his land.
I have never done social media.
You are a kind person,
Kaye

37paddington said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
37paddington said...

I’ve always been of the philosophy of not excessively adding things up—the better to avoid sticker shock. We shell out for what matters to us. Your four legged family matters to you. I too seem to be reaching back lately. The changes in me come fast and furious these days and I barely recognize myself. But it still beats the alternative!

The Happy Whisk said...

Happy Anniversary. I think, for me anyway, some folks look the same because my brain sees them that way, even though they've change.

e said...

I hope your friend responds.

Far Side of Fifty said...

What ever you serve for food will be wonderful! Yes I hear the price of hay is up there...I see lots of it for sale up here and semi loads going south:)

Sandra said...

The last sentence says it all! It does indeed.

Sandra said...

Having so many, Kaye is not what I planned but it is what I have. They are older to old and they have lived here all their lives. So my home on the Amalfi Coast will never happen!!

Sandra said...

I think my brain remembers them the way they were and can't comprehend who I am looking at now. I swear, I have no recognition of some people.

Sandra said...

If she sees the message she probably will. She hasn't used FB for 7 years so it's likely she won't see it.

Sandra said...

I think I've decided on quiche, easy to make. Hay prices just keep rising, like the price of everything. Drought, then non-stop rain, doesn't help.

Lori Skoog said...

I do not eat much Mexican food, but think I would love that Burrito! In fact, it's just a little after 10am and that makes me hungry. We have had a pleasant series of days and will probably get your rain tomorrow. Enjoy your visit with Kristina!

Anvilcloud said...

Hay! That's quite a lot of feeding you have to do. 😊

Sandra said...

Lori, I grew up on it. We lived in San Diego for part of my childhood. For whatever reason, St. Paul had a thriving Latino population on the West Side. We got authentic food at least once a week growing up, my mother loved that food. After moving here it became more difficult More rain in the forecast for today.

Sandra said...

HA! It sure is.