Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Sunday, May 15, 2022

Weeds to the Left of Me, Weeds to the Right. Here I am, Stuck in the Middle With Weeds......

I spent an hour weeding this morning.


Saplings growing in the rambling rose. That's fun to clean up.. 


I was not exaggerating when I said my flower beds are a disaster. This is one of the better ones.



I'll be heading back out after I finish my tea. I am a slow weeder, that hasn't changed, so I'm not sure I will finish this today. Mark was going to weed but somehow has been distracted by vines. We have black clay soil which is about as bad as it can get. I have mulched my beds forever with composted manure. I know it sounds weird, but it works. Lay it on thick and it keeps the weeds down, the soil moist and it helps amend the soil, too. And...I have a whole lot of it just waiting for me.



I made soup before I went outside this morning. I actually thought ahead, so we had lunch waiting for us. Sometimes I have a brilliant mind. 



 

8 comments:

julochka said...

weeds will always take over. nature will be here and heal and repair, long after we're gone. but at least there's soup!

Sandra said...

You got that right! Weeds, trees and boxelder bugs will survive. There will be soup as long as there is me. :) I need to hear all the good stuff you've been doing.

Lori Skoog said...

You must have watched GRACE AND FRANKIE! It takes weeks for Gary to get our gardens in shape. Today he went out to get rid of some creeping Charlie that has invaded one section of our strawberry plants (about 40 feet) and decided it was not worth it to save them. Put some in 4 pots and we will get rid of the rest. Fortunately there are a lot more that will be fine. Your soup looks delicious! You need to write a book....you have such a way with words!

Far Side of Fifty said...

I am sure you will get rid of a few weeds...I gave up all the Perennial beds they are now wild gardens and I am happy with that! Have fun!

Sandra said...

I watched some of it, but I didn't stick with it. I know julochka loves it! I had a large strawberry patch that I gave up on four years ago. For the same reason as Gary. I bought some strawberries that I'm going to put in a strawberry pot I found at Kate's (my mother). I don't have a book in me, most days I don't have more than three or four words to string together, other than swearing at the tv! But, thank you for the kind words. I got that one garden weeded!!

Sandra said...

Far Side, you keep going to spam! My gardens are not orderly, but I do need to get rid of the weeds, I can't see the flowers otherwise. And if I'm telling truth, I like things my version of right. Once it's cleaned up it's basically done for the season, they are full.

Bohemian said...

A brilliant Mind indeed you have! I so seldom think ahead when it comes to meals... this is why we eat out a lot. *smiles*

Sandra said...

I am a planner, usually 3 days ahead, but I'm always ready with Plan B. Because I often need one.