Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Saturday, May 7, 2022

Ago

This was the last year I had a vegetable garden, 2016

I had influenza the winter of 2017, I got very ill and then contracted pneumonia. I spent half of that year ill. I never really felt I recovered myself after that.




These lovely things are choking out what the grass isn't. This is a photo from a couple of years ago.


A photo of what the phlox is doing.



This is a couple of years ago, Last year the phlox had over-taken these, as well.


How I now plant herbs and vegetables. This is sweet little Mona, one of the barn cats. She refused to be enticed into the house. She has her own mind.


I'm heading out to weed a smaller flower bed. It's overwhelming when nature has had its way for a couple of years. We live in a place which wants to be forest. Parts of Minnesota are prairie, but large parts are not, it's forest land. We live in what would be a softwood forest. The trees and grassland never give in, they will not be conquered. The best we can do is hold it at bay. When we don't for a couple of years, we are conquered. I'm going to attempt to regain some ground in this everlasting struggle of human against flora, fool that I am.


4 comments:

Boud said...

Where I live you have to mow, or you'll have trees everywhere. And cat briar. And invasive honeysuckle. I often pull baby oaks and maples and cherries out of flowerbeds.

Sandra said...

You live in an area that would have been woodland, too. It's a real struggle. We know what will survive after humankind is gone!

Far Side of Fifty said...

We try to keep the forest at bay too, it is a hard job. Your vegetable gardens were beautiful!

Sandra said...

Thank you! I was a longtime gardener, even when my horse business was in full-swing. Now, not so much. Knocking back the forest in an occupation.