Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Monday, April 24, 2023

Dog Tales

Howard B. Hound





Grace Greyhound



Ploop


Fun Night


I got Grace in 2003 as a puppy. She came into a household of another black grey, Nellie Jelly Belly, a giant Afghan Hound/German Shepherd, Atlas, and the Best Dog in the World, Bill. A yellow lab. Grace was a CHARACTER. I later got a basset, Harvey, added into the mix. Harvey had an emergency vet visit which ended with his not coming home. I was devastated. The wife of my horse dentist raised bassets, Mark was at a client in SW Minnesota, where they lived. She had a litter, I picked out Howard by photo and Mark picked him up on his way home. Uptight, demanding, grumpy, huge, slobbery Howard became the light of my life. By the time he was eight he had glaucoma, common in bassets, and then congestive heart disease. He had a pharmacy of meds and creams and was a good boy about having his eyes treated. Grace had died just before Howie's health problems started. I adopted an eleven year old basset, Murphy, whose owner had died. He loved Howard, which Howard loved. Murphy out-lived Howard by just under a year. Howie died in May 2017 from congestive heart failure. I don't think I've ever cried that hard. When Murphy died at the ripe old age of 15 I decided I couldn't handle the death anymore, so no more dogs. I will say I knew it was likely I'd end up with at least on of my mother's dogs, which I did. Both actually. Emma was 16 at the time, but she lived a happy eight months with us. Keetah, we still have. I have a long, rich history with doggos. I do not intend to have another after Keetah. One never knows what may happen, but I will not have another dog by intention. 


I made a really good pasta salad for lunch yesterday. There is enough to have again today. We have another sunny, cool day. The inherited dog is currently barking loudly at the world. She is the only dog I've had that doesn't listen to me. It has not been easy for She Who Must Be Obeyed to accept that Keetah never will. Another thing added to my list of wisdoms in the latter years; attempt calmness in the midst of that which I cannot control. I cannot control her barking nor her shedding. Which isn't all that much to be disturbed about, but it does get on my nerves, never-the-less!

Being Monday, I have laundry to do. I will attempt a few more tasks, maybe. I did get slipcovers on the sofas yesterday. Gatto decided the sofa arms make a great scratching post. I also ordered another scratching post with two scratching pillars and a soft bed atop the pillars. My living room has become a cat house. Another group which has let me know my opinion matters not a whit! It's a good thing I still have horses that listen. 

19 comments:

Boud said...

Do horses listen? that's good to know. I've known a lot of dogs who listened but disagreed.

Sandra said...

Boud, they'd better listen. No one wants a thousand pounds on the end of the rope without manners! I think my dogs often disagreed they just didn't disobey. Grace was great at back-talk!

Barwitzki said...

When I hear horse, joy runs over my heart... I took care of a friend's horses for a long time over the summer on the paddock in the neighboring town... it was wonderful, the vastness of the landscape and the peace and quiet of the horses... totally relaxing for me.
Oh yes, enjoy your animals.

Sandra said...

Horses do bring relaxation and happiness. They are gentle giants when well-treated, Barwitzki. Do you still see the horses?

The Happy Whisk said...

It's understandable (to me), when someone doesn't want another pup after all of the ones that passed. I get that. I also get the change that happens often later, like recently with a good friend. She lost her second of three and felt very much like you did. Then time passed and she adopted Archie. Too cute.

It's sad when they go. For sure. Sending you well wishes and a yummy rest of your day.

Val Ewing said...

Dogs. I can't do without one. My mule[s] are good listeners. I've sat out in the pasture on a rough day and told them all of my secrets and sorrows. They never tell on you! Just the same as a good dog.

I understand the heartbreak.

Lori Skoog said...

I love your dog tails....

Sandra said...

There are plenty of dogs needing homes, Ivy. We can't all quite taking them in!

Sandra said...

Val, I never thought I would say I wouldn't get another dog. But I don't think I will. Unless one lands in my lap. I always talk to the horses, they are good listeners and don't interrupt!

Sandra said...

Lori, 😄

The Happy Whisk said...

That's true! There really are.

Far Side of Fifty said...

We do not intend to get another dog, we do enjoy our families dogs very much:) We do not want the heartbreak anymore.

Sandra said...

Far Side, I completely understand this.

Pixie said...

How old was Howard when he died? We have to decided what to do with Lucy and it's causing us pain.
Did you have him put down?

e said...

You are a kindred spirit to me with regard to animals and I get the heartbreak. I had an awful time having a dog as a kid and have never had another. Cat house is how I've lived a good chunk of my adult life. Lukas is the first intentional solo cat I have ever had, and I know horses listen.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Our pets become such an integral part of our lives and when they become ill or pass, it is like losing a family member. Despite his medical issues, Howie was obviously much loved. Sorry to read about Murphy as well.

Sandra said...

Pixie, Howard was 10. I kept him alive a year longer than expected, but one day I couldn't do anymore, he was dying. We had a in-home euthanasia vet put him down and buried him in his favorite spot by the pond. We did the same with Murphy. I'm really sorry you are in this place with Lucy, letting go is almost impossible. They let us know.

Sandra said...

e, it breaks your heart. I have always had dogs, they were my best friends. I've been sad when cats died but not broken. I think If I outlive Frieda her death will break my heart. The little monster. You sure are taking care of Lukas

Sandra said...

Beatrice, we spend more time with them than we do with most family. It made it worse that I had to be so diligent with Howard's care. I was his private nurse. Murphy was a great dog. He was funny and happy and he loved Howard. He shadowed him all of the time.