Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Friday, April 21, 2023

Happiness in a Jar


Yesterday was rain all day. Today is overcast and dreary.

I did get something done. I picked and dried oregano last autumn, then somehow left it in a plastic bag on the screened porch. Yesterday I decided to pull the oregano and its flowers off the stems. It took much longer that I anticipated but this is what I got. I do use the flowers as well, so I have a medium size jar of those and 3.5 jars of oregano. It was worth the time spent.




I also did this.

A large stockpot full of chicken bones and vegetable scraps. This simmered for hours, yielding a gallon and a half of stock. It's soup for lunch! There is something magical for me in making food out of what most throw away. I have never stopped feeling that sense of wonder every time. I guess I can still feel child-like happiness over an accomplishment as simple as this.


I realized in the early evening I had nothing planned for dinner, only after Mark asked what we were having. A couple of pantry ingredients later, we had dinner. I have something planned today; steelhead trout, a favorite of mine.


The tale of a day in the life. 

14 comments:

Boud said...

I love that turning of scraps into great food, too. And saving herbs to have enough not to stint on using them.

Sandra said...

Boud, you are my soup twin!

The Happy Whisk said...

Go you for putting together a quick and yummy meal. Glad the herbs were worth it. They are to me as well. Just delightful.

Sandra said...

Ivy, I don't have much of a garden anymore, but I always plant herbs. I forgot about this oregano. I have a plant the size of a small continent!

Ami said...

There are a few herb plants in the momcave.
They belong to the barnacles, as I am terrible at taking care of plants and don't own any. The parsley is picky, look at it sideways and it wilts.

I love home made soups. Lentil soup is a big favorite in our family, add a pan of cornbread and people will eat it for days.

Anonymous said...

Turning scraps into good food is magical... Dawn the y

julochka said...

I totally feel the same way! I actually think of it as my superpower.

Lori Skoog said...

You are one fabulous cook!

Sandra said...

Ami, at least you have the barnacles providing you with herbs!

Sandra said...

julochka, it's so good to hear from you! It is a super power and one to be proud of. You have a few of those.

Sandra said...

Thank you, Lori. I am a decent home cook. In my older years I have become simple and there isn't a thing wrong with that. Simple can be wonderful.

Sandra said...

Dawn, isn't it! I also feel happy when I make stock.

The Happy Whisk said...

I get that.

Sandra said...

Ivy, it’s the simple things!