Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Monday, April 10, 2023

One More Time

I am so impressed with the simplicity of this recipe and the quality of the bread that I had to post the second loaf. Indulge me.


I made this loaf yesterday morning. It got a longer rise time as my son called and I forgot about it. This time it's 50/50 whole wheat and all purpose flour. As would be expected, it's more dense than the white loaf but still has plenty of air in the crumb. Next will be a try with rye and then spelt.

We had a quiet day yesterday, like most days. I made bread, tidied up and listened to a book. There was a pleasant chat with my son before he went to brunch with a lifetime friend. He has kept his friends from the neighborhood all these years. On the seventeenth of this month my only child turns forty-nine. It's a bit daunting. I still see those boys on their Big Wheels furiously peddling down the street after one-another. I'm thinking of getting an adult trike for some exercise and I'm surprised at how costly they are.

We are in for a warm-up this week, one day could reach 80 F. Nothing I can do about that but I still enjoy the complaint. Otherwise, life carries on one step at a time.


12 comments:

Boud said...

One of my favorite bread mix is 50% whole wheat, about 30% ap, and 20% good oatmeal. It makes a nice crust and a crumb that's about dense enough. I've never used spelt, the cost putting me off a bit.

Sandra said...

I started using spelt and einkorn four when I thought I had gluten intolerance. It turned out to be something else, but these were grains that many gluten intolerant people can use. Also buckwheat. At that time I didn't mix, the spelt and buckwheat where dense. Einkorn is a great flour but it is VERY expensive. Oatmeal is a very good grain to add in, I just forget about it.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I wrote down the recipe and it is on the fridge. In fact I could go make it now:) I have one turning 51 and the other 48:)

Lori Skoog said...

Gary has actually expressed an interest in making bread, which he has not done for decades. Yours always looks so good. Our daughters are 55 and 53 in June. I have a tricycle and absolutely love it...you will too. It makes such a different when the trike is handling the weight and your feet don't have to do it. The "tractor" seats are very comfortable and they' re so much safer than a bike. I put my camera, water and phone in the back basket and ride straight out of our yard. I am also riding it to and from the paddock each morning just to keep my knees lubed. Hope you get one.

Sandra said...

Far Side, this is so simple it feels like cheating! Their age is a reflection of our own!

Sandra said...

This would be a great entry into bread making again for Gary. I'm thinking about it. I would have one short route I could take that is flat. Where we live is a rolling landscape, hardly any flat ground. I've seen you daughter who lives locally. Youthfulness runs in you family!

e said...

Another masterpiece, and a little boy who loves to play in packaging! Nice to hear from you too.

Sandra said...

The little boy is into everything, e! Finding this recipe has spoiled me.

Barwitzki said...

Oh yeah, you say it, when my daughter turned 40, I really thought that couldn't be possible... we see in our children that we're getting older... and we dream about the years that we really are were needed...we wish to be needed.
That's why it's important that we create tasks for ourselves... make you happy you:-)))
Your bread looks wonderful. I bake wholemeal rye... I'll post that in the blog next time - I promise. I wish you lots of fun baking.
Hug

Sandra said...

You are so right, Barwitzki. I can't ignore my age when I think about his! It is important to find things you like, especially as we age and the world can become smaller. I just made a caraway rye loaf. Please post yours when you do.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

As soon as we are able to have bread again as part of the South Beach plan, Sandra, I plan to try the simple recipe using whole wheat flour, which I need to restock first.

Sandra said...

It turned out well with a 50/50 mix, Beatrice. I hope you are having success with the diet.