Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Saturday, April 22, 2023

Earth Day

The first Earth Day, 1970
We knew then what we were doing, yet, well...here we are.



Earth shoes. I and all my friends had them. We were more geared up about the shoes than the meaning of the day. But we were eighteen, probably excusable at that time.


My corner of the earth thinks it's March. That actually is not unusual for Minnesota. Where I see climate change is in the summer. Also, winter doesn't get as brutally cold as it used to, but the summer humidity has become unbearable. New varieties of weeds and insects have shown up, also the softwood scrub trees are becoming impossible to control. A forest is attempting to grow and it may win. 

I had terrible vertigo yesterday, no idea why. I spent most of the day in my chair, I seemed to want to topple over anytime I stood. So far that isn't a problem today. I made chicken noodle and white bean soup yesterday, I was able to do that, barely. There is plenty for lunch today, too. I used the oregano flower buds as seasoning, as well as a fennel frond cube. Very good, even if I do say so myself! If the cook doesn't like the food she makes, why would anyone else?

Wherever you are on our beleaguered plant, give it a moment of thought today.


14 comments:

Boud said...

Nice post, Sandra. And yes, if you made something good it's false modesty to pretend otherwise. You're adding to the sum of human happiness in your house!

Val Ewing said...

Nice.

Earth day here consisted of the recycling run, and constructing a new spot for Mr. Pony and goat for warm summer days. Places I had to weed whack because I can't mow it.

You are the soup and bread Queen!

Wow. Vertigo suxs. :(

e said...

I'm sorry about your vertigo, and I remember earth shoes but never owned any. After several days in the 60s, 84 is too hot! Enjoy your soup!

Lori Skoog said...

Glad you are feeling better today. I remember Earth Shoes and had some. I don't think our weather is nearly as extreme as what you get in Minnesota. You have to be tough to live there!!!

Far Side of Fifty said...

I didn't have Earth Shoes... 1970 was a poor year...probably couldn't afford them!
We still have brutally cold weather and wind...I see the changes in a late Spring and an early Winter.
Sorry you had vertigo and I hope you are feeling better today:)

Sandra said...

Boud, I like that!

Sandra said...

Val, those are good earth day tasks. You may call me Countess!

Sandra said...

e, I think just about everyone I knew was sporting earth shoes. I was so dizzy I really had to be careful.

Sandra said...

Lori, I would have bet you did own them! Yes, Minnesota is temperamental. I don't mind it, except for our tropical humidity we now have. You just need proper winter wear.

Sandra said...

Far Side, as I recall they were comfortable. And of course, a marketing tool!

Anonymous said...

What a memory you brought back, Earth Shoes! I had some as did my Mom she called them her "Big Bird shoes."
In my neck of the woods..it is more like late Feb. A slow melt is better than a rapid one.
I hope no vertigo today, tomorrow and beyond.
Take Care,
Kaye

Sandra said...

Kaye, Big Bird shoes!!! Yes indeed, a slow melt is the best. I haven't had any issue with vertigo today, so far. Yippee!

The Happy Whisk said...

Yikes! Sorry to read about the vertigo! I've had that before too. Love that you love your food. I'm right with you on that!

Sandra said...

Ivy, we need to eat, right? It makes sense to enjoy it! Vertigo puts a person in a chair, that’s for sure.