Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Friday, April 7, 2023

Food. Cat. K'vetch

We have bright sunshine and a high of 45 F in our future today. Next week it's supposed to be in the 70s, which is too warm too fast, but who asked me.

I made a large pot of chicken and wild rice soup yesterday. It was excellent, even if I do say so myself. I haven't used the pretty cookware yet, I just have been looking at it admiringly. I was forced into some kitchen cleanup/reorganizing to find a place to put it. I'm feeling pretty good this morning so hopefully it will carry through for the day. 



This fine fellow (ha ha) is never still. You can see, I think, his intensity in this photo. He doesn't know when enough is enough. Thank the builder, Dick, for our screened in porch, where Gatto spends much time. I have a cat who needs a time out.
 

Yesterday afternoon I decided I would make pizza for dinner. My pizza always looks messy. This one had a thin crust and a base of ricotta mixed with pesto rosso, fennel, spinach, prosciutto and kalamatas. It looks messy but was good! I plan, which means I hope, to make Eggplant Involtini tonight. Roasted eggplant rolled around ricotta then baked in tomato sauce. Eggplant rolls. I have a lonesome eggplant waiting to become something.


Soon it will be spring in Minnesota. Mud season, then a few nice days before we become the tropics. I don't complain about winter. Much. I thoroughly dislike what our summer has become. I'd like to get the neglect cleaned up around the yard before the sauna hits us. Grump Grump. Mark sometimes calls me Debbie Downer. I wear it proudly. 

12 comments:

Boud said...

Your food always looks good. It's ages since I made pizza. Noted!

Your weather does seem to be a lot of opposites. We get hot humid summers, but not the extreme winters you deal with.

Sandra said...

Thank you, Boud. Make pizza, I want to see what you do with it.

We are an extreme climate but the humidity we now have as normal stared about 12 yrs ago. We would get hot, but also had nice days. We also had humidity but not oppressive. It's difficult to work outside in that.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I hate the sauna days too, but we cannot control the weather. 70's wow you will have mud! We might see 40's:)

Sandra said...

Far Side, you want a slow melt with all that snow.

Lori Skoog said...

Your food photos are killing me! Sounds like you had a good turn around in the weather department. Very cold here with the wind today, but bright the whole day. Should be 70 here next week too. As soon as it warms up, I will be more motivated to work inside and outside. We need to take down a 96 foot fence line in our front paddock and replace it....make me tired thinking about it.

Ami said...

Hey Debbie... the food looks great but eggplant isn't meant for human consumption. I'm sorry, I don't make the rules.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

That soup looks so good, Sandra, but you had me at pizza😋 we are on the beginning phases of the South Beach plan (notice I avoided the “d” word) now, of course all carbs are a no-no. Thankfully, in time, some can be added in, including wild rice, but I will have to try making pizza a different way (sigh). Glad to read you have been feeling better and certainly cooking up a storm. That new cookware looked so nice. And, you do have a kitty full of mischief.

Sandra said...

Lori, it makes me tired just thinking about it, too! That's a lot of fencing. It will be awhile before we can do anything outside.

Sandra said...

Ami 😁 Eggplant gets a bad rap! Mark thought he didn't like it, now he really likes it.

Sandra said...

Gatto is a terror and he's got the other two doing what he does. It's kind of wild around here. Good luck on your not "d" word!

Bohemian said...

The Soup looks good and Gatto in his pix is hilarious, he is a Rascal.

Sandra said...

Thanks, Dawn. Gatto is a monster!