Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Home Sweet Home

This house was a disaster when we bought it. This, the kitchen, (photo taken a few years ago) did have the island, a former altar, and a slide-in stove on a pallet where the range is. That was it. I'll go through old photos sometime to show the before.


This is the other side of the pantry/laundry room. The cabinets from yesterday's post are to the left.
 

This is the pass-through pantry from the kitchen to the laundry before the broom closet was made.

I kept brooms, etc. here. Vacuums were in my office closet, along with coats.


This is across from the washer/dryer. I don't know what this room had been once-upon-a-time. This is part of the original house, as is the kitchen. There are three eras that make up the house.


The 1984 addition didn't need much work, but the rest of the place, inside and out, were a disaster. I have always liked flaws! Boy, did I get them here. 2018 was when it finally got brought to a finish, as far as updating the rest of it. We had two bathrooms gutted and redone. Of course everything else is 20-30 years on now!  Our bedroom needs new windows, ah, well.

After my confusing post yesterday I thought I'd give a little tour of the casa. I sure had a lot of energy back then. It was me and two different handymen who did most of this work. Mark was gone earning the money to pay for it. I think if I had been born in a different time I may actually have been a contractor. I have always liked to tear things apart and put them back together.

10 comments:

Val Ewing said...

Well your house still blows my mind!
My home is 30' by 30' and a cottage. I admire homes like this.

Still, I like my tiny cottage too. So easy to clean up! So easy to clutter up!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Looks like a large home! I like the rock! When we were younger we had a number of fixer uppers. It takes lots of energy:)

Sandra said...

Val, I wouldn’t mind a cottage. If it weren’t for the horses we would probably sell. But we have the horses. :)

Sandra said...

Far Side, it’s not huge. It’s about 3000 sq ft. The camera perspective makes rooms look larger. The field granite was put in the house by the previous owner. It’s hard to keep clean in a kitchen, but it wasn’t really a kitchen when he lived here! This was the most fixer-upper of my fixer-uppers. It was a mess.

Lori Skoog said...

You sure have a lot of storage. Love how the range is tucked in there. Touring your house is great....ironically I posted house photos today. Hope your snow keeps melting and you don't get any of the nasty weather I'm seeing on the news.

Anonymous said...

Your home is so warm and inviting. I love the wood floors.
Take Care,
Kaye

Sandra said...

Lori, yes lots of cabinetry but no coat or utility closet! I'll be checking out your photos, I love your big old NY house! We did get light rain yesterday.

Sandra said...

Kaye, thanks. I've lived here longer than any place else. Because it was such a disaster I have a lot of myself put into it.

Anonymous said...

I like the Stone Wall in the Kitchen... Dawn the Bohemian

Sandra said...

Thanks, Dawn. It's not the best material for a kitchen that's actually used, but it is impressive!